Finding the right legal professional can be a difficult and sometimes intimidating task, nevertheless choosing the right legal professional to handle your case can make all the difference. In this article, we discuss seven things to look for during your search to make certain that you choose the right attorney for the project. For tips about how to go about your search, read our companion article, “Three Steps to Finding the Right Best DUI Lawyer Orange County Attorney for Your Case”. So, here you go: things to look for when creating your choice.
Experience in Your Case’s General Section of the Law
1. The right legal professional for you will have significant experience in the broad area of law governing your position. In case you have injured your right foot on the job, you may desire a really good workers’ compensation practitioner. It isn’t important that he or she have vast experience with right foot injuries. Knowledge and experience in the broad area of workers’ compensation law is crucial. Similarly, I do not recommend hiring a motor vehicle accident specialist to handle a case involving a boating accident and maritime law, for example, or to handle a patent dispute. Understand what general area of the law applies to your case and look for a firm that practices in that particular area.
Experience with Similar Types of Clients
2. The right legal professional for you will have experience representing others in your general situation. Some attorneys represent only Plaintiffs, plus some represent only Defendants or their insurers. Some represent both Plaintiffs and Defendants, in separate cases. Some legal professionals handle only business disputes, and some handle only compensation for injuries claims. Some attorneys on the whole practice handle various claims for a variety of clients. You’ll be well served to find an lawyer with knowledge and experience representing others in your general situation.
Good Communication Skills
3. The right attorney for you will have a personality and demeanor which facilitates good communication. You will feel at home providing accurate and complete information to your lawyer concerning the legal matter involved. Your legal professional should be able to explain in terms you understand the law applicable to your situation. Your lawyer will return calls and will keep you informed of important developments available for you. Litigation can be stressful, disputes can be unpleasant, and even contract negotiations can be frustrating. Good communication between legal professional and client often makes a major difference.
Located and Licensed in the correct Jurisdiction
4. The right legal professional for you will be positioned in the proper geographical area and will be well located to represent you in the proper jurisdiction. We get inquiries from people needing legal help in many different states. The correct legal professional for a Defendant can file responsive pleadings in the jurisdiction in which the case is pending. The right attorney for an injured Plaintiff can commence suit in the right jurisdiction and venue. Often this will be where the accident happened, the vessel is docked, or the Defendant is situated. Although it is quite possible for attorneys to associate counsel in other states or jurisdictions, often it is not efficient to employ a Philadelphia legal professional to draft a Georgia dog will.
5. The right attorney for you will be dependable and you will lose no sleep worrying whether you can trust him or her to keep a confidence or safeguard your hard earned cash. There are many indicators of trustworthiness, including experience and longevity in the legal profession, history of professional achievement, insufficient a discipline record, and others.
On Your Side
6. The right lawyer for you will be on your side. Although this seems to travel without saying, the often-maligned legal profession, at its core, is about public service and sometimes necessitates putting the rights and needs of clients above those of the legal professional handling the truth. The right legal professional will put your interests above their own.
Up Front About Fees
7. The right attorney for you will discuss legal fees at the first meeting, will charge an acceptable fee, and can put your agreement in writing so that there is no confusion or second-guessing what you would owe for the services.